CONTACT & CONNECT:
Zero Waste Capital District
Zero Waste Capital District is a coalition of several local non-profits and scores of individuals dedicated to increasing consumer consciousness about the need to reduce the amount of waste we produce. We provide educational materials and mentoring, with a focus on proper recycling, food scraps composting and avoiding/refusing single use plastics. We help create the infrastructure and legislative support needed in our communities to divert waste from landfills and incinerators/kilns. We understand the connection between waste and climate change, and we are particularly concerned about the burden of waste on our most vulnerable residents.
Our member groups include: PAUSE/350.org, League of Women Voters of Albany County, Sierra Club Hudson-Mohawk Group, Save the Pine Bush, Solidarity Committee of the Capital District, Friends of Tivoli Preserve and Farm, Green Sanctuary-First Unitarian Universalist Society of Albany, Capital Region Earth Day and CRICCC- Capital Region Interfaith Creation Care Coalition. We welcome new members – groups and individuals.
Members of ZWCD also serve as the Zero Waste Education Subcommittee of the Albany City Sustainability Advisory Committee.
- USEFUL RESOURCES:
- Kiss The Ground Video Library
Free Community Compost Drop Off Sites and Paid Compost Pick Up Services in the Capital Region
- The Truth About Plastic Recycling (Video)
- Get Started with Composting (Video) – Sustainable Saratoga
- Vermicomposting (Video) – Sustainable Saratoga
- The Compost Story / The Soil Story (Short Videos)
- AlbanyRecycles.com – Albany Household Hazardous Waste Drop Off Days, Paper Shredding and Book Recycling Events
- Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR) – backyard & community composting
- WastedFood.com – Jonathan Bloom’s blog, author of “American Wasteland
- Albany.CCE.Cornell.edu – Cornell Cooperative Extension, composting
- BuyLocalGrowLocal.org – Sustainable Directory, Compost sites