The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) recently issued a notice for a series of “listening sessions” to hear comments about the creation of an Office of Public Participation within the Commission (Docket AD21-9-000). The notice can be found on the Commission’s website and eLibrary.
FERC is the federal agency that regulates the interstate transmission of electricity, natural gas, and oil. FERC also reviews proposals to build liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals and interstate natural gas pipelines as well as licensing hydropower projects. If you, your family, or your community have been negatively impacted by FERC approved infrastructure, or if you have experienced difficulty dealing with FERC processes and procedures, including access to information and transparency, this is your opportunity to be heard!
The sessions will give individuals an opportunity to provide their thoughts and ideas on how the Commission should create the OPP to encourage and facilitate public participation. Following a brief introduction from Commission staff, each participant will have 3-5 minutes to speak.
You do not need to have any particular background or expertise to speak in these sessions. This is your opportunity, as an impacted landowner or resident, to speak about your experiences with FERC, and any difficulties you may have encountered. How could an Office of Public Participation help impacted landowners like yourself in the future?
Pre-registration for speakers is highly recommended. FERC will give speaking priority to members of the public or representatives of Tribal governments who pre-register for a listening session. FERC will invite participants who have not pre-registered to speak after pre-registered participants if time permits. Click the links below to pre-register for the following sessions:
- Landowners and Communities Affected by Infrastructure Development, Wednesday, March 17, 2021, 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
- Environmental Justice Communities and Tribal Interests, Monday, March 22, 2021, 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.
- Tribal Governments Session 1,Wednesday, March 24, 2021, at 10:00 to 11:30 a.m.
- Tribal Governments Session 2, Wednesday, March 24, 2021,1:00 to 2:30 p.m. (session 2).
- Energy Consumers and Consumer Advocates,Thursday, March 25, 2021, 1:00 to 2:30 p.m.